Display Energy Certificate: Does my business need one?
What buildings need a certificate?
All buildings meeting the following criteria require a Display Energy Certificated:
- All buildings over 250 square meters.
- Buildings visited by the public.
- Buildings partially occupied by a public authority.
If you meet the above criteria a Display Energy Certificate is a legal requirement , but you’ll find it also has other benefits including:
Awareness of Energy Use.
- A Display Energy Certificate is based on the amount of energy the meter uses in the building over the previous twelve months.
- A Display Energy Certificate shows where the most energy is being consumed in a building.
- In the long term this helps organisations prepare for helping the UK Government reach its net-zero emissions target by 2050.
- The organisation will be able to identify where they can start to reduce their carbon emissions.
- Getting your staff involved can also help with energy efficiency.
Improve environmental social and governance accountability.
- Placing a Display Energy Certificate in a place that is clearly visible to the public shows how energy efficient your building is.
- If your property has a good Display Energy Certificate rating, you can increase your organisation’s Corporate Social Responsibility and ESG reporting.
- The Display Energy Certificate is accompanied by an Advisory Report. An Advisory Report this highlights recommendations to improve the energy performance of the building.
- The fine for failure display your Display Energy Certificate is £500. A further fine of £500 is incurred if you front obtain an advisory report.
- Ensuring compliance with the legislation will help your organisation to avoid fines.
- If your Display Energy Certificate is out of date or you do not have one, your local authority will give a deadline. This will allow you to resolve any issues.
How long is it valid for?
- If the building is more than 250 square meters but under 1000 square meters a Display Energy Certificate is valid for ten years.
- If the building is larger than 1000 square meters a Display Energy Certificate is valid for one year. The advisory report is valid for seven years.
- You will find the expiration date of your Display Certificate in the bottom right section entitled “additional information.”
How do businesses know if they are compliant?
Troo can help you check your Display Energy Certificate status and whether it is valid and in-date quickly. Give our team a call on 0808 164 2222